Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

At the auction at Cheyenne Mt. Conference Center.  It went for $1000.  The money will mostly go to supporting Art and Music in District 11 schools.  I am thankful for the opportunity to do it and excited that it raised a good amount.  The 30 butterflies went for over $39,000 total.



Details in progress...












One wing done.

At the Artists' Reception at the Citadel.

On display on Cascade, downtown Colorado Springs.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Got Some Color






My butterfly had to travel to Ohio with us. She enjoyed her time visiting my sweet Aunt in the country. She came back looking pretty colorful. The base colors are all on and blended, as much as possible. It was no easy task even with all the measures I could take. I did start getting better at it by the time I finished. ;) There were some places I have had to repair, which is also real difficult, since you have to get the exact blended color and the paint is darker after it dries. I had to do 2-3 coats to get it to cover. That was probably worse because I used an translucent white rather than an opaque. Live and learn. If you look close you can see some of the detail lines drawn on.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Butterfly Project Accepted and Started

My design and the designs of 2 friends at work, Lita and Prachi, all got accepted for this project. We are all excited and a bit nervous. There were not a lot of entries, but I guess they felt our designs would appeal to the public. I had decided to do it pretty last minute and wasn't sure what or if I should do it. I prayed as I looked for ideas and tried to put something together. I was surprised that it came together pretty well. So, I guess I am supposed to do it. I can't do it in oils as I planned, so the blending will be a challenge. I will use a paint additive to slow the drying and I got a STA-Wet pallet. For me, this will be a lesson in acrylics (which I haven't used for many years), time management, faith and who knows what else. So far, I've gotten it sanded to create a "bite" for the paint. Then I applied a light gray primer coat. I practiced on some aluminum burner covers and am ready to start putting on color. My Dad and I got one of the wings mounted on a board to make it easier to paint the edges without it sticking to the surface. I learned that when applying the primer. Now begins the real challenge. Help Lord!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Color of Creation


This This is a colored pencil drawing of the concept I submitted for the Butterfly Project. If accepted I will get a 3 ft aluminum butterfly to paint with this design and a stipend for materials. The finished piece would be displayed somewhere in Colorado Springs. At the end of the summer they are auctioned off and the proceeds benefit Art & Music in schools. I will find out next week. I'm not sure if I stand a chance, but it was fun to submit and a great cause. The concept was to paint the form with oil paints. Then to use a iridescent finish coming out on the blue and green and a sparkle finish on the red and orange. I wanted make it bright to stand out in the outdoors and to use the colors of the color wheel as a representation of a basic of Art concept.